Born 1990 in Cambridge, UK. Sam Laughlin's practice is concerned with a variety of forms and processes both natural and man-made. Much of his recent work focusses on natural systems, exploring concepts and ideas through visual language. Laughlin has exhibited widely both in the UK and internationally, most recently at the Regency Town House for Brighton Photo Fringe 2016 where he received the Danny Wilson Memorial Award. In January 2017 he was awarded the Jerwood/Photoworks award to fund the production of new work. He also works commercially on architectural commissions.
- Jerwood/Photoworks Award 2017
- Danny Wilson Memorial Award 2016
- Upcoming: John Hansard Gallery, Southampton, UK
- Sam Laughlin: Selected Works. RTH, Brighton, UK (part of BPF16)
- Lago. Tratalias, Sardinia, Italy
- Rotterdam Contemporary. Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Expositieruimte 38CC. Delft, Netherlands
- BCJEM Biennale of Young Artists. Fabbrica Del Vappore, Milan
- Highrise and Fall. Centrespace Gallery. Bristol
- Brick Cloud. Two Queens Gallery. UK Young Artists Festival.
- The Lost Prairie: Thoughts on Photography. Parlour Showrooms. Bristol
- Circoloquadro. Milan
- Of The Afternoon. Power Station Gallery. London
- Vignette Award. Photographique. Bristol
- Fotofilmic 13. Positive/Negative Gallery. Vancouver
- Not Enough Days. The Island. Bristol.
- Ubiquity Third Floor Gallery. Cardiff. (Diffusion Festival)
- Rebuilt Histories. Rizhoma Gallery. Milan, Italy
- Architecture as Monument. Cambridge University
- Westphoto Photography Prize. Ambika P3. London
- Graddedig12. Wales Millennium Centre. Cardiff
- Platform. Bristol Diving School. Bristol
- When The Night Falls. KIK. Kolderveen, Netherlands
Residencies & Artistic Commissions
- ‘Sulcishub’ residency in Tratalias, Sardinia, Italy.
- Long term funded commission for John Hansard Gallery, Southampton, UK.
- ‘Architecture as Monument’. Commission for Churchill College, Cambridge University, UK.