Born 1990 in Cambridge, currently living in Brighton. Sam Laughlin's practice is concerned with a variety of forms and processes both natural and man-made. Much of his recent work focusses on natural processes and animal behaviour. Laughlin has exhibited widely both in the UK and internationally, including at the at the Brighton Photo Fringe 2016 where he received the Danny Wilson Memorial Award, and more recently at Jerwood Space and Impressions Gallery. In January 2017 he was awarded the Jerwood/Photoworks award to fund the production of new work. He works mainly on artistic commissions, most recently for John Hansard Gallery.
- Jerwood/Photoworks Award 2017
- Danny Wilson Memorial Award 2016
- Impressions Gallery. Bradford, UK
- Belfast Exposed. Belfast, UK
- Jerwood Space. London, UK
- John Hansard Gallery. Southampton, UK
- Sam Laughlin: Selected Works. RTH, Brighton, UK (part of BPF16)
- Lago. Tratalias, Sardinia, Italy
- Rotterdam Contemporary. Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Expositieruimte 38CC. Delft, Netherlands
- BCJEM Biennale of Young Artists. Fabbrica Del Vappore, Milan
- Highrise and Fall. Centrespace Gallery. Bristol
- Brick Cloud. Two Queens Gallery. UK Young Artists Festival.
- The Lost Prairie: Thoughts on Photography. Parlour Showrooms. Bristol
- Of The Afternoon. Power Station Gallery. London
- Fotofilmic 13. Positive/Negative Gallery. Vancouver
- Not Enough Days. The Island. Bristol.
- Ubiquity Third Floor Gallery. Cardiff. (Diffusion Festival)
- Rebuilt Histories. Rizhoma. Milan, Italy
- Architecture as Monument. Cambridge University
- Westphoto Photography Prize. Ambika P3. London
- Graddedig12. Wales Millennium Centre. Cardiff
- Platform. Bristol Diving School. Bristol
- When The Night Falls. KIK. Kolderveen, Netherlands
Residencies & Artistic Commissions
- Jerwood/Photoworks Award
- BCJEM Sulcishub residency in Tratalias, Sardinia, Italy.
- John Hansard Gallery, Southampton, UK.
- Architecture as Monument’ Commission for Churchill College, Cambridge University, UK.